Have you found dozens of conflicting answers to your top lice questions online? There’s a lot of misinformation out there, including almost every “lice outbreak” sitcom episode out there. So how can you separate the truth from the lies? Ask an expert, of course!
- How to people get lice? Lice spread through head-to-head contact. It’s easy to worry that lice cling to couches and caps, but fewer than 5% of cases are caused by lice carried by inanimate objects such as brushes, hats, furniture, or car seats. This is because lice don’t survive longer than 24 hours without feeding on human blood.
- How long do lice live? About 30 days.
- Where do lice come from, anyway? Lice have been around since the beginning. They’ve even found nits on Egyptian mummies!
- Can lice jump or fly? No, they can only crawl from one strand of hair to another. That’s why lice only spread through direct, head-to-head contact.
- Are lice seasonal? No, lice are a problem year round. Lice outbreaks happen more frequently during the school year because kids are together more often.
- Do lice prefer clean hair? While it’s easier for lice to move around on clean hair, lice don’t discriminate. They’re more interested in your blood than how clean or dirty your hair is.
- What are the symptoms of lice? People with lice may experience itching, swollen glands, a rash on the back of the neck, or trouble sleeping. Head lice are nocturnal, so they’re more active (and irritating) at night.
- What do I do if my child has lice? Treat lice ASAP to limit the chance of spreading. Check all family members and alert the school, friends, and other people your child has come in close contact with as a courtesy. If lice has spread to someone else in your family’s circle, the infestation will keep going around and around until everyone gets treated.
- How can we keep from getting lice again? Keep long hair in a bun, ponytail, or braid to decrease the risk of direct contact. Check your children’s hair weekly with a good lice comb. There’s no 100% effective way to prevent lice, but catching it early makes lice less of a hassle.
Lice outbreaks are no fun for anyone. That’s why we at HBI Lice Removal strive to make things as easy for you as possible. Call us anytime, any day and we’ll schedule a house call to remove lice from your kid’s hair. We even offer family discounts!