With another school year comes a to-do list a mile long. Families must shop for supplies, master a new morning routine, and settle back into a world of classrooms and homework. Unfortunately, back to school means worrying about other things, too. Lice outbreaks are common when kids come back from summer break, putting their heads together to laugh and catch up. So what can parents do to minimize kids’ risk of catching lice?
DIY Lice Deterrent Spray
There’s no way to prevent lice, but there are certain smells that make lice less likely to choose your child’s head as a new home. Follow these steps to make a DIY lice deterrent spray to apply before school in the mornings.
How to Keep Kids from Catching Lice
There’s no trick that’s 100% effective for preventing lice. There are, however, ways parents can limit their kids’ risk and catch lice outbreaks early. As the back to school season kicks into high gear, protect your kids with these tips from HBI Lice Removal.
- Invest in a lice comb. A fine-toothed comb is crucial to catching lice outbreaks early.
- Check your kids’ hair once a week, focusing on the problem zones: above the ears, the center of the head, and the nape of the neck.
- Learn to recognize lice. After combing through your kids’ hair, tap the comb over a tissue and look for black specs like freckles or brown shapes the size of sesame seeds.
- If your child has long hair, braid it or pull it into a ponytail. This will prevent your kid’s hair from brushing their friend’s head when they hug.
- Spray lice deterrents on your child’s hair in the morning before school.
Call HBI Lice Removal to schedule a school head check or lice removal house call.