Some people would do anything to get rid of that creeping, crawling itch that comes with head lice. Knowing you have lice makes it hard to eat, sleep, or go about your daily life. You may be tempted to slather your kid’s hair in mayo, try a dozen different lice shampoos, or clean everything in the house to prevent the spread of head lice. But while some home lice remedies are simply ineffectual, others are dangerous.
#1 on the list of Worst Ideas Ever? Dousing your child’s hair in flammable chemicals.
Back in the Day
I remember as a 2nd grader my sister having to have her tonsils out. She went to our hospital in the town and while there the nurse brushed all the children’s hair with the same brush. My sister came home and was scratching her head at the lower back (near her neck) a lot and my mother couldn’t understand why. After checking it she found a nit of lice at the back.
Needless to say I got lice and so did my younger sister. They did not have lice removal products in those days (this was in the 50’s) so we had to have our hair cut very short (mine looked like a boys hair cut) and we had to use kerosene on our hair to kill the lice. I remember going to school with a hat on and not taking it off until one of the boys asked the teacher why I was wearing the hat and she made me take it off. Of course, everyone laughed at me. It was a difficult time in my experience as a little kid.
– Mary Hill
The Danger of Killing Lice with Kerosene
Perhaps your grandmother used kerosene, gasoline, or motor oil to kill lice as a kid. Maybe she swears it worked. The practice has been referenced in medical journals since 1917. But we have news for you: putting a highly flammable substance on your kid’s head qualifies as a Very Bad Idea.
- In 1997 a boy in Iowa suffered severe burns after the water heater pilot light ignited fumes from the flammable liquid his parents were using to treat his lice infestation.
- In 1998 a 4-year-old in Florida suffered second degree burns on her head after fumes from the gas on her head drifted over to the stove’s pilot light.
- In 2000 a 12-year-old girl suffered second and third degree burns after the gasoline soaking her hair ignited.
- In 2009 a girl named Jessica Brooks suffered severe burns over half her body when the gasoline on her hair caught flame from the pilot light of her water heater.
Don’t risk the safety of your child to remove a pest that’s ultimately harmless. Call HBI Lice Removal for a thorough, all-natural lice treatment that’s guaranteed to nix every nit.